Monday, September 19, 2016

Brothers Nick Schmaltz, Jordan Schmaltz face off


TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Chicago Blackhawks Jerseys prospect Nick Schmaltz before finally Review :. Had the opportunity to go head-to-head against a player he idolized as a teenager DURING Traverse City Prospects Tournament at Centre Ice Arena this week.

Ultimately, the defense St. Louis Blues prospect Jordan Schmaltz was the top small son to brother with a goal, one assist, two shots on goal and a plus-2 in a 3-2 win Friday. Nick Schmaltz HAD no points and two penalty kicks.

"It was the first time we played against each other, so it was fun to watch the game _him_, he had a great game," said Nick (6 feet, 179 pounds). "Hopefully, one day we will have a game of the NHL regular season Contré the other. "

Jordan (6-2, 192) knew exactly how he felt Nick Did he controlled every time the puck.

"It's weird, and I'm sure he thought the Saami thing, for what purpose, I knew he would do," Jordan said. "It was funny going 1-on-1, I think I made a pair of plays, the aim Nick Thinks the game at a high level and defend against a guy like that will only help me get into the camp drive. "

The respect Jordan, 22, and Nick, 20 have for each other, even DURING the heat of battle, is palpable.


"We have two-dreamed of getting to this level and it is clear that we want a list of the NHL," said Nick. "Both of us grew up together, Pushed-have for each other, and it shows ;. Hard work pays off"

It is no coincidence the Wisconsin native has taken the path of Sami. They played for each team Mission Major Bantam Chicago, Green Bay of the United States Hockey League and the University of North Dakota. Jordan was selected by the Blues with the No. 25 overall pick of the 2012 NHL and signed an entry-level three-year contract with St. Louis on May 28, 2015. Nick was selected by the Blackhawks with No. 20 selection of the 2014 draft and signed an entry-level three-year contract with Chicago on June 19

Nick centered the top line in North Dakota as a sophomore last season with Edmonton Oilers prospect Drake Caggiula and Vancouver Canucks prospect Brock Boeser, helping the Hawks Fighting win a national title. Nick HAD 46 points (11 goals, 35 assists) and a plus-44 in 37 games, and could play for the Blackhawks at some point this season. Chicago lost parts A Few offensive During the offseason, including center Andrew Shaw (traded to Montreal Canadiens) and left wing Teuvo Teravainen (traded to the Carolina Hurricanes).


"I think there is possibility obviously," said Nick. "There are a lot of guys who work for it and I'll just do everything in my power to show 'em what I am, show 'em that I deserve a place in the NHL. [Management] has said that there are open spots and one who wants These spots will get more. so, I am all that I do for work as hard as possible, day after day, to prove my game. "

Jordan left a favorable impression in his first season with Chicago of the American Hockey League, finishing with 36 points (six goals, 30 assists) in 71 games, after three seasons at North Dakota.

"As a second-year guy [Traverse City], I know what to expect and I have a familiarity with the tournament ... so that helps," said Jordan. "I just have to play my game, which is a stepping stone."

Jordan Smiled When asked why he chose to play defense when his brother stars in the front.

"I was playing a little before grow aiming developed more as a defender of Peewee," Jordan said. "A UND, I played with _him_ (in 2014-15) on the power play and he thinks the same way the game I'm doing. It will usually give you the puck."

Nick experienced a breakout year last season in North Dakota, which has led to signing a professional contract.

"I think it was just my play away from the puck [that helped me improve] I was coming back and stripping guys who had the puck," he said. "I am passing and doing games offensively. I think before last season, I did not come back as strong as I could have, and I think I made a huge jump and it showed last season. "

Their parents, Mike and Lisa, are not there to watch the game head-to-head in Traverse City; They traveled to the University of Kentucky to be with their daughter, Kylie, a freshman who plays volleyball for the Wildcats and was aussi birthday party.

Jordan will never forget the days when he teamed with Kylie to play against Nick.

"We had a competitive household; We had a hockey room in our basement," Jordan said. "He would always me and my sister vs Nick, because he was the oldest and the youngest of _him_ We were running against the press full jurisdiction over _him_;. We would like to chip in and go muck. "

No comments:

Post a Comment